Friday, 1 May 2015

Where's my HD?

Most students strive to do the best and don't just settle for a pass or credit. But when you are a High  Distinction student most of the time and receive a Distinction for an assessment piece, what do you do?
I would say there are three options.
1. accept your mark and move on
2. Ask for further clarifying feedback if there wasn't a lot received and
3. Use the University appeal process.

I have not known a lecturer or tutor that hasn't been happy to clarify on assessment task marking. If you're really not happy with that Distinction, then yes, you can appeal by following the University's procedures. But is it worth it? A Distinction is a fantastic mark and not many High Distinctions or Distinctions are given. They are hard to get for a very good reason: standards. Universities need to have high standards. 

I stress that once further feedback is given, responding to the markers' email that you believe you are deserving of an HD will only make you look unprofessional and a difficult person that cannot follow university protocols. 

If you feel you have been unfairly marked, go through the appropriate processes. However, also understand that we all think that our own work deserves a better mark and you may just need to accept a D. And remember that there is nothing wrong with a D!

No comments:

Post a Comment